In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products or services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
However, a good number of them you don’t really need.
Some of the ones you don’t need are in fact, not safe.
Here are a few of the baby nursery products that you don’t need:
(Sticking to this list will save you money!)
- Padded crib bumper. Not only don’t you need it, but it can actually put your baby at risk of being suffocated.
- Wipe warmer. Nope. don’t need it. Plus, keeping the warmer on all the time can raise your electric bill.
- Antique rocking chair. While an antique rocking chair may be beautiful, it also may not comfortably fit both you and baby together.
- Night light. Night lights that stay on all night are not good for baby’s eyes. In order for a newborn baby’s eyes to develop, he needs total darkness.
So what do you need for your baby’s nursery?
Here are a few baby nursery products that are good choices for your baby’s nursery:
- Extra long crib skirt. You’ll be able to hide baby things underneath your baby’s crib, and the skirt will hide them.
- Cheap washcloths. These are much better for cleaning up baby because there is less chance of your child developing an allergy to a washcloth than there would be to those disposable baby wipes.
- A glider or swivel rocker. These will be more comfortable and will fit both you and baby together better.
- Zinc ointment. Most babies develop diaper rash at some point. Because of this, it’s a good idea to keep a tube of zinc ointment on hand.
A few other must-have baby nursery products are:
- Infant tub. It’s a good idea to bathe your baby in an infant tub — because it’s easier for you to hang onto him, and there is less chance of him being exposed to germs that may be living in the bathtub or sink.
- Pacifier. According to the AAP, pacifiers can actually help to prevent SIDS.
- Infant sleeping bag. Blankets are a suffocation risk. Little sleeping bags that zip up around your baby to keep him warm at night are better.
- Changing mat. Changing mats are nice because they can be moved from room to room, unlike a changing table. Plus, since changing mats are foam filled and plastic, they are easy to wipe down.
My favorite things to write about are topics that have to do with pregnancy, weddings, saving money, living green, and life with dogs. When I’m not writing, I love to spend time with my husband, read, create 3D artwork and Native American beadwork.