In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products & services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
However, you know your financial situation better than anyone else.
And while it can be tempting to run out and purchase the latest fashions in maternity clothing — just keep in mind that it’s very likely you’ll only be wearing that clothing for a few months.
My best advice is to get the most out of your current wardrobe with some simple DIY hacks.
Prefer Not To Buy Pregnancy Clothes?
Following are 2 low-budget ways to hack your current wardrobe and save money on maternity clothing.
With these simple tricks, you’ll be able to stretch your money — so you‘ll only have to buy maternity clothes when it’s absolutely necessary.
These tips will be helpful, regardless of whether you…
- …live in an area where it’s warm most of the time (or you will be in your second or third trimester during the warmer months).
- …live in an area where it’s cool most of the time (or you will be in your second or third trimester during the cooler months).
2 Simple DIY Hacks For Maternity Clothing
Here are my 2 simple hacks for making your own maternity clothing:
#1 – DIY Hack For Cheap Maternity Jeans
Although the elastic panel at the waist will grow with you, it’s best to wait until your second trimester before investing in a pair. Denim is one item that is difficult to buy early and keep through your whole term because it has less stretch then most other fabrics. Source
If you notice you are primarily expanding in the middle — or you’re still in your first trimester — then you may be able to wear your current jeans a little longer by using a rubber band or ponytail holder to fasten them.
Here’s how to make your own jeans button fastener:
- Wrap a rubberband or ponytail holder around the button on your jeans a few times.
- Loop the other end of the rubberband or ponytail holder through the button hole.
- Wrap it back over the button.
#2 – DIY Hack For A Cheap Belly Band
And speaking of pants… if you don’t want to buy a belly band, then make your own!
A belly band is simply a piece of stretchable fabric that fits over your pants and growing stomach. It allows you to wear your pants or skirts unbuttoned and unzipped without anyone knowing. This is definitely a great solution for the first few months or if you only gain inches in your stomach area. Belly bands are also a great solution for shirts that no longer cover your expanding midsection. Source
Here’s how to make your own belly band:
- Start with a shirt that fits you snugly.
- Measure at least 6 inches up from the bottom of the shirt, and cut the lower portion of the shirt off.
- Now the bottom portion of your shirt is a homemade belly band that you can wear over the top of your pants when you’re no longer able to use the rubber band/ponytail hack that I mentioned above.
So there you have it — a couple of simple ideas for hacking your current wardrobe during pregnancy so you won’t have to buy as many maternity items!
I’m a stay-at-home mom and writer. Having experienced the joys and discomforts of pregnancy 3 times, I have a lot of advice to offer expecting mothers. I’m committed to providing new moms with an in-depth and honest view on pregnancy, so you’ll have a better idea of what to expect and a good feel for what pregnancy is really like.