Where are you supposed to find maternity clothes that start at XL and get even bigger as your body expands?
It’s not easy, friend. But I’ve shopped — online and off — to find you the best places to buy plus-size maternity clothes.
Here’s my personal advice on buying XL maternity clothes…
If You Want My Opinion…
Don’t even bother with Mimi Maternity. Seriously!
When I questioned why clothes there stop at LARGE, the saleswoman advised me to visit its cheaper line, Motherhood Maternity — because “their clothes are more true to size.”
What she didn’t say was: “…more true to your size.”
Ouch! But you will find that mass market retailers sell clothes that are geared toward real figures.
(And I’ll bet that some of the regular-size mamas who buy Mimi must go out and buy Motherhood by the end of their pregnancy, too. Because if you buy too small in the beginning, where can you grow from there?)
Where To Buy XL Or Plus Size Maternity Clothing
Here are some of the best places to find maternity clothes in sizes XL, XXL and up:
- Always includes XL and XXL sizes for each piece.
- Most of the fabrics have plenty of stretch for baby.
- Downside: XL and XXL pieces sell out quickly.
- Tip: Try on clothes at the store for the best fit. You can always order the XL or XXL online if the store’s large is too small.
- Both stores and website carry plus size maternity clothing.
- Motherhood Plus website carries sizes up to 3X.
- Affordable and trendy, wide selection.
- Sizes up to XXL.
- Stylish and inexpensive.
- $5 shipping, returns can be made in-store.
- Sizes up to 26/28 in most pieces.
- Order the size you normally wear.
- Catalog only plus maternity clothes.
- Sizes up to 6X.
- Sign up for email discounts.
Tips For Wearing XL Or Plus Size Maternity Clothing
When I shared my quest for the perfect XL dress to wear to a wedding in my last trimester, I had so much encouragement from readers.
Here are some of their creative ideas for wearing plus size maternity clothes:
- Sew your own maternity clothes that are perfectly tailored to your figure.
- Buy plus-size women’s clothes in a size or two larger than you already wear — especially in stretch fabrics.
- Pair non-maternity stretch pants/skirts with plus size maternity tops for good coverage.
More advice regarding how to look attractive in plus-size maternity clothes.
I’m a wife, mom, and resident of Brentwood, Tennessee. I love finding fun new things to see and do in the Brentwood area! Most recently, I’ve enjoyed blogging about my pregnancy with baby #3.