This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy thru these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Choosing a baby name for your precious new bundle of joy is one of the most important things you will ever do.
When deciding on your baby’s name, just remember that your baby won’t be a baby forever, and he or she will have to carry this name for the rest of his or her life.
For starters, you may want to check out Baby Names That Have Been Popular Over The Past 10 Years.
Keep these tips in mind when choosing a baby name:
- List the names you are considering and then say them out loud. See if you really like how they sound.
- Don’t choose a name that’s difficult to pronounce. If your baby’s name is hard to pronounce, then she is going to resent you for it later because everyone — from her teachers to her friends’ parents — is going to pronounce it wrong.
- Make sure you have the correct spelling of the name you choose. (Trendy baby names frequently have unusual spellings.) Otherwise, your child will be stuck with the incorrect spelling for the rest of his life since it’s on his birth certificate.
- Check out the initials your baby’s full name makes and be sure they don’t stand for something nasty. A good example would be some of the abbreviations used in e-mails like WTF. So a name like William Tiberius Ferguson for example could end up really getting your child teased.
- If you choose a baby name that is popular right now, then your child will be one of many with that same name growing up. (Did you know that some baby names may directly impact your child’s future?)
- Don’t name your baby after a celebrity. If you do, by the time your baby is a young child, people may have forgotten about this celebrity — so they may just think your child has a weird name.
- Make sure if your baby’s name is shortened to a nickname that is a desirable one. My parents decided not to name me Rebecca because they didn’t like the idea of me being called Becky Bennett.
For more helpful hints when choosing your baby’s name, check out these tips for choosing a unique and modern baby name.
My favorite things to write about are topics that have to do with pregnancy, weddings, saving money, living green, and life with dogs. When I’m not writing, I love to spend time with my husband, read, create 3D artwork and Native American beadwork.