We write about products and services that we use. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
Just the idea of pregnancy can be scary enough for some women.
Add in strange pregnancy symptoms & signs and it can take scary to a whole new level!
Most women are aware of the common symptoms of pregnancy — such as morning sickness and stretch marks.
However, what do you do when you have some really strange symptom, like an unusual pain?
Fortunately, there is some solid information out there from women who’ve been there.
For example, these 5 weird pregnancy symptoms turned out not to be so strange after all.
With the help of your doctor, you’ll quickly learn how to deal with them.
Strange Pregnancy Symptoms & Signs
These are a few of the strange symptoms that a pregnant woman is likely to experience:
- Shooting pain and numbness in the leg. The cause could be varicose veins, or possibly sciatica. In the case of sciatica, the extra weight from the uterus could be putting pressure on the sciatica nerve, and this might be one of the reasons for the shooting pain and numbness in the leg.
- Pain in the pelvic area. This is when there is a shooting pain that angles up from the groin to the belly. The pain is called round ligament pain and is perfectly normal during pregnancy. It usually appears during the 2nd trimester. The round ligament stretches around the uterus and supports it. It can contract and relax like muscles, but more slowly, so if you make a quick movement (such as getting up too fast), this can cause pain — because the round ligament cannot contract and relax that fast.
- Complete inability to sleep. This occurs most often in the 3rd trimester and is caused by things like heartburn, the inability to get comfortable in bed, leg pains, and even vivid dreams. It’s perfectly normal and may be the body’s way of preparing for sleepless nights once the baby is born.
Other strange pregnancy symptoms & signs are:
- A stuffy nose and nose bleeds. Both of these are perfectly normal and can be treated with a humidifier and saline drops.
- A metallic taste in the mouth. The metallic taste is thought to be caused by the hormonal fluctuations that are common with pregnancy. It is normal.
- Strong smelling urine. This seems to be most common in early pregnancy. If you also notice pain, you should talk to your doctor since it could be a urinary tract infection. Also, a woman’s sense of smell can increase during early pregnancy, so this may be another reason you notice a stronger (or different) smell with your urine.
My favorite things to write about are topics that have to do with pregnancy, weddings, saving money, living green, and life with dogs. When I’m not writing, I love to spend time with my husband, read, create 3D artwork and Native American beadwork.