These days, many women are choosing to have an organic pregnancy.
By living as naturally as possible while you’re pregnant, you’re having a positive impact on your own health, your baby’s health, and the environment as whole.
Along these same lines, there are a number of environmental risks that pregnant women should be aware of.
Following are the best ways to live a natural life while you’re pregnant, plus some post-pregnancy organic choices worth considering.
Organic Pregnancy Tips
- Buy organic products (clothing & bedding) – like these eco-friendly and economical maternity wear ideas.
- Eat more natural food products (organic foods) – here’s what you need to know when choosing organic foods during pregnancy.
- Reduce chemicals in your home (cleaning & decorating) – here are some environmental toxins to avoid during pregnancy.
- Eliminate chemicals from your health and beauty routine (hair & skin) – like these pregnancy safe nail polishes and other products safe to use during preganncy.
BONUS TIP: Be sure to let family and friends know about your desire to use all-natural products, so when it comes time for baby showers and buying gifts for you or the baby, you get items that you are comfortable using around your baby — like these nontoxic baby products.
Organic Choices After Pregnancy
Many women have such a pleasant experience with their organic pregnancy that they continue the all-natural lifestyle even after the baby is born.
The idea: you want to ensure everything that comes in contact with your baby is safe and healthy.
Do you realize that many of the baby products that you are likely to give your newborn — like blankets and toys — contain something that could be toxic to both you and your baby? Thankfully, you have the ability to prevent your baby from being exposed to so many toxins by choosing organic baby products.
In line with each of the items mentioned above, here are some specific ways to ‘live green’ with your new baby:
- Choose nontoxic skin and hair products for you and your baby.
- Buy eco-friendly clothing and bedding for yourself and your baby.
- Try eco-friendly diapering options like cloth diapers or greener disposable diapers.
- Decorate your baby’s nursery using environmentally friendly products.
- Give your baby eco-friendly toys to play with and try to avoid toys made with toxic plastics.
- Use all-natural cleaning products around the house instead of using products with harsh chemicals in them.
BONUS TIP: It’s worth noting that “baby safe” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s completely safe to use on your little one. Instead, you should look for items that are labeled “non-toxic” or “organic” or “all-natural” to be sure. Here is an example of 5 things to avoid.
More Organic Pregnancy & Baby Tips
I like to help people find unique ways to do things in order to save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” ideas that most wouldn’t think of. As a lifelong dog owner, I often share my best tips for living with and training dogs. I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I’m truly passionate about. I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).