This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy thru these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Yoga has 2 great benefits for the pregnant woman:
- It teaches you how to breathe deeply and relax — key things you’ll need to know how to do during labor.
- It enhances muscle tone and improves balance — which makes you feel better and helps you get through the pregnancy easier.
Pregnancy Yoga Tips
As seen in the following video, there are a few important things that you should know before starting yoga if you’re pregnant:
- Make sure the instructor knows you’re pregnant. Or, take a yoga class for pregnant women.
- There are few restrictions during the first trimester, but during the second and third trimester your joints are looser, so you need to be careful of twisting and inversion poses.
- Avoid positions that put you flat on your back.
- Avoid classes that teach Bikram yoga (or hot yoga) because they heat the room up above 90 degrees and this is dangerous for a pregnant woman.
- Talk to your doctor before beginning a yoga class.
My favorite things to write about are topics that have to do with pregnancy, weddings, saving money, living green, and life with dogs. When I’m not writing, I love to spend time with my husband, read, create 3D artwork and Native American beadwork.