When your doctor is inducing labor, he will try one or more of these 5 different methods:
- A finger inserted to separate the amniotic sac from the cervix. This causes the body to release prostoglandins and induces labor.
- Your doctor may give you synthetic prostoglandins to get labor started.
- A plastic balloon device may be inserted into your cervix and then filled with water to ripen the cervix.
- Your doctor may insert a plastic hook into the cervix and break the amniotic sac to help induce labor.
- You may be given the drug Pitocin to strengthen your contractions.
This video illustrates all of the ways that doctors induce labor in hospitals:
Concerned that your doctor may have to induce labor? See how to tell what position your baby is in in the womb… right now!
DIY Methods Of Inducing Labor
My favorite things to write about are topics that have to do with pregnancy, weddings, saving money, living green, and life with dogs. When I’m not writing, I love to spend time with my husband, read, create 3D artwork and Native American beadwork.